Thursday, July 16, 2009

Full face... a difference?



So amongst the scattered rain storms and dark clouds Jon and I headed out this evening for the usual Macclesfield Forest jaunt, this time with a difference...

Full face.

Yeah Jon's had his for a while, and during Stinky ownership Mr Warnock sported a nice little number (including bling goggles) but it's taken me a while.
Now yeah I got it to review for Wideopen, so it hasn't cost me a penny, but why else did I want to try one?

Well both Scott and Jon talked about a feeling of invunerability, invincible if you like... and with talk of a trip to France (or Spain) for a gravity orietated holiday in 2010 to celebrate my 30th it seemed a good warm up to ride local trails I know with one...

So I didn't really know what to expect to be honest. A nice fit, and it looks great too (IMHO), but would it change my riding?

Hard to say is the short answer...

Unlike Maxxis super tacky tyres, or 5:10s it doesn't change the handling or contact points so the bike and your speed feel the same, but somehow I wasn't as worried about being thrown off course and found myself looking further down the trail. So yeah a gentle but growing feeling of invunerability.
But what held me back really I think is the 130mm forks, which don't do quite enough to keep my confidence up when the going gets rough and loose.

So, as planned, a 20mm setup is on the cards for next year - to be bought this year.
Pikes? 140mm, stiff and highly rated, but with only a 10mm increase in front travel - or Lyrics with 115-160mm (similar to Jon's All Mountain 1s) to give a similar performance but with increased flexibility... or is 160mm front, 130mm a bad idea... I don't know.

All good.

BIRTHDAY 2009

We're riding somewhere local-ish on the 1st August. Keep an eye on your email but current favourite is Lee Quarry. We'll have to see I guess... followed by a BBQ at Casa Del Hiltano.

See you next week!


Macclesfield Forest 16/7/09

No comments:

Post a Comment