Thursday, September 13, 2012

780mm wide...

The Renthal bars on Longterm from Wideopen have (finally) arrived from Jamie in Bristol and tonight was my first ride. They're lighter (500g vs 750g for bar and stem), shorter (50mm vs 60mm stem), lower rise and wider (780mm vs 700ish) than my old DMR combo... so first impressions were WIDE and LOW.


Climbing was pretty ordinary on them, slightly more grip on the front wheel, but a wierd feeling having your arms so wide apart... descending? hmmm hard to say - I think I like them... Charity Lane was quick, quick enough to need bottom gear, the bars didn't feel much different there, it's just rough and as flat out as you can hold it, although I expect the leverage ratios helped with stability at speed. Down Bottom of the Oven though and you could tell the difference, drop the bars on the inside and it actually forces the back end round, a strange new sensation but one that I grew in confidence with. By the time we got to the old push up track I was really enjoying playing with them and I've started to find my cornering mojo again.

Good ride tonight then - Paul joined us, not been out with us for a year or so, so good to see him socially outside of work, and great banter about him getting a new bike. Ryan out aswell, and feeling better with the front tyre again I think, but considering a brake upgrade soon...

Out again next week - and a riding weekend on the 13/14th (not decided if it'll be Saturday or Sunday yet)... Watch this space :)

No comments:

Post a Comment