Monday, August 07, 2006

Painburn


Only the third ride on my new stead and I found myself heading over to Stainburn Forest in North Yorkshire. With Scott piloting the Dadmobile we made it over there in about an hour and a half. Meeting Tez in the carpark, we decided to tackle the 'natural' trail first as a warm up. Although not overly technical, the going was slow due to the soft ground and singletrack climbs. Not the sort of riding I relish, especially in the heat with hordes of insects trying to take a bite. Still, there were some flowing sections, especially the final run, complete with a small jump off some logs, which with lots of speed has the potential for some good air. After a brief rest back in the carpark it was time to try the other loop. The difference was immediately apparent, with hard-packed stone chippings giving a good firm ride. Some cheeky little jumps and twists in the trail kept it interesting and things were looking good. Then it all went a bit hardcore... Dragons tails of the highest order lay before us, literally trails made out of big rocks and slabs. Skills were needed here and quite frankly I'm still getting used to the bike! At some point a rock decided to encroach on one of my chainrings... This in turn twisted my chain, which then caught up in my rear mech and as I was still pedaling it then wrenched the whole thing round and stripped the thread out of the hanger. Not a happy bunny, but at least I only need a new hanger! Overall, good to see somewhere different, but technical singletrack climbing is hard going, especially when you can go to somewhere like Gwydwr and climb up a nice fireroad, leaving plenty of energy for the downhills! Photos can be found at FLICKR here

No comments:

Post a Comment